What I Wore: Fall Transition
by Bailey Powell
Transitioning clothing seasons is oft tricky , especially in Texas. It’s officially been fall for a few weeks now, but the weather has (until this past rainy weekend) stayed steamy and hot. So, what do you do when the weather’s telling you to keep wearing your cotton summer dresses and sandals but the season’s telling you to pull out your chunky sweaters and boots? A: Layering and texture/fabric choices are key.
I traded in my patent pumps for suede, cotton dress for crepe, and threw in a blazer for good (autumn) measure:
- H&M tiered, ruffled, crepe dress from sale rack in Guildford, Surrey, U.K
- Wal Mart (seriously!) boyfriend blazer in black- from mom via Wal Mart in Arlington, TX
- Vince Camuto black suede pumps from Nordstrom Rack in Southlake, TX
- H&M ring from London
- Orly nail polish in It’s Not Rocket Science from Ulta in Arlington, TX
- (not pictured) gold and pink ombre earrings from Francesca’s in Arlington, TX
- (not pictured) gold bangle from mom via (?)
- (not pictured) black slouchy bag with gold studs from Primark in Guildford, Surrey, U.K.
The blazer can be shed when it’s too hot (i.e., while walking four blocks from the parking garage to D‘s office building) and put back on to be both season and office appropriate once reaching my destination. Since the high temp was still 90°F, bare legs are acceptable but the suede pumps let people know that I’m aware that it’s no longer August.
I hope this helps inspire some ideas on how to smoothly transition summer to fall while the weather might not be cooperating accordingly. Happy dressing!
Enjoy the posts on baileypowell.com? Sign up for an email subscription at the bottom of the home page or check out my Facebook page!